Did you know that in the early days of motion pictures, the stars were supposed to be anonymous? Actors working for Biograph Pictures went unaccredited so that they wouldn’t become celebrities — they might ask for more money, as they did in the theater! This didn’t stop audiences for demanding to see more films featuring “the Biograph Girl”. Another studio quickly offered her more money and screen credit, and Florence Lawrence became the first Hollywood film star.
The studios soon realized that name recognition was more than profitable — it was magic. Mary Pickford, Ronald Colman, Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin soon became household words. Housewives and schoolgirls swooned over mysterious Sessue Hayakawa and exotic Rudolph Valentino. When Valentino died suddenly at only 31, fans reacted with hysterical grief on a scale comparable to the death of Michael Jackson 83 years later. Even if you’re not a devoted follower of classic film on television, you might recognize names like William Holden from “Network” or James Stewart from “It’s A Wonderful Life”.
Who are your favorite Hollywood film stars? Do you like Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Daniel Day-Lewis? Although dramatic styles and film-making methods have changed, today’s film stars are promoted in much the same way as in the old days. The studio they work for, or their publicity agents, put out frequent bulletins talking about their current activities. They’re encouraged to appear at concerts, charities and other events to keep their names before the public. Hollywood gossip is as lurid as ever, and as little in keeping with the facts.
The Internet makes it very easy to keep track of what your favorite stars are doing. Most actors and actresses have websites full of news, glamorous publicity photos, background information and links to buy DVDs of your favorite films. It’s also common nowadays for stars to have blogs and Twitter accounts. They either maintain these themselves, or more likely have an assistant update for them.
Whatever the technology, our feelings toward stars are the same as they’ve always been. The talented people who enact our dreams for us on the “silver screen” continue to earn our attention and devotion.
Bonus – List of Top Hollywood Celebrity Twitter Accounts :
- Britney Spears – @britneyspears
- 50cent – @50cent
- Miley Cyrus - @mileycyrus
- Basketball star Shaquille O’Neill – @THE_REAL_SHAQ
- John Mayer – @johncmayer
- Arnold Schwarzenegger - @schwarzenegger
- Lance Armstrong – @lancearmstrong
- Lily – @lilyroseallen
- Felicia Day – @feliciaday
- Ashton Kutcher – @aplusk
- Stephen Colbert – @StephenColbert
- Solange Knowles – @solangeknowles
- Kim Kardashian – @KimKardashian
- Melora Hardin – @melorahardin
- Jimmy Fallon – @jimmyfallon
- John Cleese – @JohnCleese
- Hammer – @Hammer
- Mariel Hemingway – @Marielhemingway
- Mandy Moore – @TheMandyMoore
- Shanna Moakler – @ShannaMoakler
- Angie Martinez – @angiemartinez
- Mollie King – @MollieOfficial
- Joan Rivers – @JoanRiversQVC
- Rumer Willis – @TheRue
- Kevin Spacey – @KevinSpacey
- Wil Wheaton – @wilw
- Miranda Hart – @mermhart
- Paula Poundstone – @PaulaPoundstone
- Demi Moore – @mrskutcher
- Brea Grant – @BreaGrant
- Justin Moorhouse – @justinmoorhouse
Rep Interactive has had the opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in Hollywood and the sports world. Contact the video professionals at REP Interactive for your next production www.repinteractive.com – Global@repinteractive.com